Hopefully everyone made it through the holidays and are not paying for it like I am! I am now on the "New Year's Diet" and things are definitely changing around our house! I for one am looking forward to this year- the hope for a new addition to our family is definitely something we are looking ahead and patiently waiting for!
We did experience our first "setback" on Christmas Eve. We received word from our adoption agency that the rate of approved adoptions from Korea had decreased by 10 percent consistently over the last several years (something that no one mentioned to us until now) therefore our adoption agency made the decision to increase the referral time from 4-6 months to 6-9 months. If that wasn't enough to take the "wind out of our sails" the value of the U.S. dollar has also decreased therefore they would need another 1300.00 for the adoption.
Wow.. talk about a punch in the stomach.. We were very bummed and saddened that I cried most of the way through the candelight service at our church. How could this happen? Why is this happening? Did we hear God correctly about this whole adoption thing? These were just some of the questions going through my mind. As I lay in bed that night, the Lord pressed upon my heart some very humble reminders.
1. He is in control. Bob and I had just had a discussion at the breakfast table that morning about an article that was front page of the Southeast Outlook on adoptions. The couples interviewed said many things but the one that stuck with me was this.. "You will have setbacks". "Whether is is financial, physical, paperwork-related, etc. you will encounter hurdles." I told Bob at the table we have to be ready that we may too encounter setbacks and if so we have to remember that our God IS IN CONTROL. It will happen in HIS TIMING. So why when it happened did I ask the Lord why? The only answer I have is that just like Moses, Abraham, Jacob, and many other people who questioned God in his holy word is that we are flesh and sinful. We are depraved people who do not know what is best for us but praise God He knows what is best for me! I love Jesus and I know his word but sometimes I too question His will for me. This is where I believe my faith is like "rubber meeting the road". I have to TRUST that He knows what is best for me.
2. Trust in the Lord. I was reminded over and over in my quiet time that trust is not only commanded by my Lord but essential for my life. (John 14:1) I can fret and be angry over this situation but doesn't that show how little trust I have in God and His perfect timing and will for my life? Then to top it off my pastor preached on Sunday from Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight." I heard Him loud and clear. I must trust that His timing and will for this adoption is perfect and I can rest in knowing He knows what is best for Lydia and for our family even though we long to have her here with us NOW.
3. He is merciful and loving to His children. So... we have to raise 8500.00 to finish the adoption fund. Sounds a little overwhelming right? Well not in God's eyes. After all this questioning of why, and how will this all play out for our adoption- someone hands me a check at church for 500.00! Okay, you may say this is not NEARLY ENOUGH to cover the expenses and you are right. However this is what I see- We needed an extra 1300.00 and God supplied almost HALF of that in 2 DAYS!! Our God is AWESOME and I know that He loves His children and when we ask for it in prayer and BELIEVE HE WILL DO IT - it will be ours. (Mark 11:24)
I am constantly amazed of who God chooses to use as a vessel in this adoption journey. Many, many people have contributed (and some more than once!) to help bring Lydia home. We are so thankful for these people- more than they will ever know. I would like to share with you though, one amazing person in this journey. This person will remain anonymous- her name is not important- but her heart is. See this young lady goes to school, has a full-time job, and supports herself on a very minimal budget. I have probably spent a total of 15 hours or less with this lady. She knows very little about me and likewise I know little about her. Yet she felt led by the Lord to give and give SACRIFICIALLY. You see, she has mailed us checks, hand delivered money, and recently told everyone for Christmas that she did not want gifts. Only money so that she COULD GIVE IT TO OUR ADOPTION. If this is not sacrificial giving, I do not know what is. I was quickly convicted "Do I give to others in this way?" "Do I give so that I can show my thanksgiving to God?" 2 Corinthians 9. I pray that God will give me an opportunity to do the same for others. May He show you also the blessings in giving and giving sacrificially- or giving until it hurts.
No comments:
Post a Comment